4 Steps to Take After Being Served a Divorce Complaint

Divorce is hard, even if you want it to happen. Having the divorce complaint in hand is often a big realization that it’s actually taking place. Whether you have kids, pets, or other assets involved, your life is about to change. What four steps should you take when you are served divorce papers?


  1. Take a Seat and Take a Breath


It’s real and it’s going to be okay. Take a moment to just sit down and breathe. If you have someone you want to call for support, this would be a good time to do it. If you want to have a nice, long cry, this would also be a good time for that. Whatever you feel, go ahead and let it out. You may have been through a lot and this is the beginning of the end.


  1. Read Every Detail


Your divorce complaint may contain a lot of information, but if it has been filed by your spouse, you want to read through every detail to ensure its accuracy. It should only have factual information contained within it, and is often regarding child custody, spousal support, assets, and other details about the marriage itself. If there’s anything you don’t agree with, make a note about what you feel would be more accurate.


  1. Call a Family Lawyer


At this point, you may already have a family lawyer to call. If not, it’s time to get on that. Your lawyer will help you work through any discrepancies in the paperwork and ensure you meet all filing deadlines. This is partly why it’s important to contact your lawyer right away. You don’t want to miss those deadlines or it could be to your detriment. 


Do you feel this divorce is amicable and doesn’t require an attorney? Even amicable divorces can benefit from having legal representation on your side. There could be small things that fall through the cracks, and you don’t want to be the one holding the short end of the stick in that situation.


  1. File a Response


With your lawyer’s help, you’ll need to come up with a response to the divorce complaint and get it filed. Again, there are deadlines, so be sure you get it done in time. If you don’t feel a formal answer is necessary, your court appearance will still need to be filed.


Contact a Lawyer for Assistance


Working through a divorce can get overwhelming without legal counsel. Contact an attorney, like a divorce attorney  from Brandy Austin Law Firm, PLLC, today to assist you in navigating the divorce complaint you were just served.