What to Do When You’ve Been Wrongfully Terminated

If you’ve been working at your federal job for a while and things seem to be going well, it can be quite shocking when you’re suddenly terminated. If you believe that you’ve been wrongfully terminated, legal remedies may be available to you. What you do immediately after you have been terminated can have a big impact on your case.

Here are the steps to take after you’ve been wrongfully terminated.

Stay Calm

It’s understandable that you’re upset for being wrongfully terminated. However, that doesn’t mean that you should let your anger get the best of you. If you start yelling or make a scene, it will only hurt your case. Even if you’re terminated for an unlawful reason, doing something later that would be a legitimate reason to get fired could jeopardize your legal claim. Take a deep breath and remain as calm as possible.

Request a Written Notice

The next thing you should do is ask your boss for a written notice that explains why you’re being terminated. This notice is one of the most important pieces of evidence you can have in a wrongful termination claim. During an arbitration hearing, your employer will have to prove that the statements in written notice are true.

Write Out Your Version of Events

In order to win a wrongful termination claim, you must provide a provable account of why the termination was illegal. It’s a good idea to write down as many details as you can about the events leading up to the termination. For example, if you remember that your supervisors and coworkers started acting cold towards you days before your termination, write that down. Try to write down your account of the events right away, as memories can fade over time.

Maintain Professional Relationships with Supervisors and Coworkers

Even though you may feel angry right now, you shouldn’t burn bridges with your supervisors or coworkers. You never know if your old contacts could lead you to job opportunities in the future. Remain cordial with everyone you worked with.

Contact a Federal Employee Lawyer

If you believe you were unjustly terminated, you should speak to a qualified federal employee lawyer as soon as possible. He or she can look over your case and determine if you have a strong wrongful termination claim or not. If your lawyer believes that you have a strong case, he or she can help you file a claim against your employer.

A skilled lawyer, like a employment discrimination lawyer Washington, DC from Eric Siegel Law, will understand how difficult it is to be wrongfully terminated from your job and want to help you get the justice you deserve. Contact a firm today to set up a consultation.